From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with Nvidia fake raid array
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 03:08:39
1 On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 22:29 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 >
3 > Make sure your kernel supports RAID, and RAID5 (they're separate
4 > options). Then emerge mdadm. Once you get it up and running once, you
5 > can dump the current config to /etc/mdadm.conf so you don't have to
6 > assemble it again. Then add mdadm to the boot runlevel.
7 >
8 I'm Ok so far - Raid and Raid5 options are both already compiled into
9 the kernel, and mdadm is in the boot runlevel.
10
11 > # mdadm --assemble --help
12 > Usage: mdadm --assemble device options...
13 > mdadm --assemble --scan options...
14 >
15 > This usage assembles one or more raid arrays from pre-existing
16 > components. For each array, mdadm needs to know the md device, the
17 > identity of the array, and a number of sub devices. These can be found
18 > in a number of ways.
19
20 > The md device is either given on the command line or is found listed
21 > in the config file. The array identity is determined either from the
22 > --uuid or --super-minor commandline arguments, from the config file,
23 > or from the first component device on the command line.
24 >
25 > The different combinations of these are as follows:
26 > If the --scan option is not given, then only devices and identities
27 > listed on the command line are considered.
28 >
29 > The first device will be the array device, and the remainder will be
30 > examined when looking for components.
31 >
32 > If an explicit identity is given with --uuid or --super-minor, then
33 > only devices with a superblock which matches that identity is
34 > considered, otherwise every device listed is considered.
35 >
36 > If the --scan option is given, and no devices are listed, then
37 > every array listed in the config file is considered for assembly.
38 > The identity of candidate devices are determined from the config file.
39 >
40 > If the --scan option is given as well as one or more devices, then
41 > Those devices are md devices that are to be assembled. Their identity
42 > and components are determined from the config file.
43 >
44 > If mdadm can not find all of the components for an array, it will
45 > assemble it but not activate it unless --run or --scan is given. To
46 > preserve this behaviour even with --scan, add --no-degraded. Note that
47 > "all of the components" means as many as were present the last time the
48 > array was running as recorded in the superblock. If the array was
49 > already degraded, and the missing device is not a new problem, it will
50 > still be assembled. It is only newly missing devices that cause the
51 > array not to be started.
52
53 Pardon my additional questions before taking the plunge here.
54
55 So, given that I have three devices, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc, if
56 I run the command mdadm --assemble --scan, would this find all the
57 components and create a /dev/md0 disk without damaging the contents of
58 the original RAID array?
59
60 The only item in /dev/mapper is th default 'control' entry. There is
61 a /dev/md0 item already listed, but presently when I try to mount it, it
62 reports that it is unable to read the superblock. Would the command
63 above fix this?
64
65 Where is the config file mentioned in your e-mail, and do I need to edit
66 it first to add the three raid disks?
67
68 Thanks
69
70 Jeff