From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 06:42:02
1 On 17 August 2013, at 12:49, Dan Johansson wrote:
2 > ...
3 >>>> The usr-merge will be a slow, gradual change; it will probably take
4 >>>> years. The systemd package entered the tree in June 2011, after more
5 >>>> than a year in an overlay, and then it took more than two years to
6 >>>> make it an official alternative to OpenRC. The /usr merge will take a
7 >>>> similar amount of time, if not longer.
8 >>>>
9 >
10 > And when we are at it, why not rename '/' to 'C:\' ?
11
12 Well, seriously, why not?
13
14 You haven't made any arguments against putting everything on a single partition, just made a cheap "lolz, micro$oft windoze" analogy.
15
16 I can understand wanting to put /home on a separate partition or /var/spool/mail or /var/www/sites but I don't understand this obsession with several different partitions for system files which are always going to be managed by portage and which I'm never going to move or mess with manually.
17
18 Having /usr on a separate partition dates back to an era in which 10MB and 40MB harddisks were prohibitively expensive - they cost $1000s.
19
20 Now we can host a complete Gentoo system on a $5 or $10 SDcard, I'm struggling to see the value.
21
22 Stroller.