From: Anthoine Bourgeois <anthoine.bourgeois@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Spacenav use test
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 21:29:54
1 Hello,
2
3 3Dconnexion corp sells some 3D mouse devices.
4 There are 4 different 3Dconnexion devices :
5 http://www.3dconnexion.com/buy/shop.html
6
7 Those devices use a proprietary driver but an free alternative is available on :
8 http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/
9
10 The problems with proprietary driver are that it proprietary, it
11 GNU/Linux/32bits (Redhat, Suse) only and
12 it only works through the X window system with motif for presenting a
13 configuration GUI
14 (and cannot be made to start without it).
15
16 I write on this list and hope someone can test these devices on Gentoo.
17 My overlay :
18 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=user/aluco.git;a=summary
19 contains a blender ebuild with useflag 3dmouse. This useflag depends
20 on libspnav and spacenavd daemon that provides free alternative of the
21 proprietary driver.
22 The ideal would be to test each product.
23
24 Please, feel free to send me reports on my personal mail, I reply quickly.
25
26 Regards,
27 Anthoine