From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am a "f*****g retard". Can you help me?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:43:14
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 16 September 2008 19:00:33 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think you missed an important part of the Gentoo philosophy, that it
5 >> gives you the loaded gun but it's up to you to not point it at your foot.
6 >> Not providing options that could potentially break a system in certain
7 >> circumstances is for a Nanny Distro. Here the ethos is "here's the tool,
8 >> read the man page and don't blame us if you do something stupid".
9 >>
10 >> Does paludis also refuse to unmerge packages in the system set?
13 > I like the traditional behaviour of portage. When an update fails it tends to
14 > say:
15 >
16 > "You asked me to do something. It didn't work; here's the output. Have a look
17 > at it then tell me what to do next. I'm a dumb piece of software, you are the
18 > thinking human so don't expect me to think for you."
19 >
20 > A failed emerge is by definition an error, and unpredictable. How can we
21 > expect software to dream up the best solution to an exception?
26 I have used --skipfirst before but I also don't think it is a good
27 idea. For a idiot like me to say that must mean something. I guess it
28 would depend on the package as to whether it could be skipped or not.
29 If I do a emerge -e world, I prefer nothing to fail else what is the point?
30
31 Later.
32
33 Dale