From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird framebuffer problem when booting
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:13:42
1 On 2013-04-28 12:51 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > IIRC (this goes back a long while), the vesafb and vga= options are
3 > completely unrelated and refer to *different* framebuffer systems. So
4 > vesafb ignores vga= and defaults to ... default :-)
5
6 Not according to the gentoo wiki:
7
8 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Framebuffer#vesafb_2
9
10 > Put the vesafb: option on the kernel command line instead.
11
12 I am putting it on the kernel command line:
13
14 title Gentoo Linux 3.7.10-r1-curr
15 root (hd0,0)
16 kernel /boot/kernel-3.7.10-gentoo-r1-curr root=/dev/sda3
17 video=vesafb:mtrr:y,ywrap vga=ask
18
19 But, after re-reading that page above for the 10th time, I finally
20 noticed this comment:
21
22 > Setting vga=ask is a good idea if you are unsure what to use, as the
23 > kernel will stop and ask you for the desired resolution and color
24 > depth. The displayed mode numbers are in HEX format - use the
25 > preceding 0x when updating your grub.conf with the new video mode.
26
27 I was just adding the number '341'... after adding vga=0x341, it works
28 just fine.
29
30 Wasted a few hours on that one. Gotta start paying more attention to
31 detail...