From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] memory(gray matter) needs jog
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:46:11
1 On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 15:54 -0600, Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 > A while back I needed help with an ext2 file system that required
4 > checking every boot before mounting. The drive suffered from errors
5 > involving 'non-contiguous files'
6
7 I'm not sure what your problem was but this wasn't it. "Non-contiguous
8 files" simply means there is some fragmentation in your filesystem,
9 which is totally natural. It's not an error, or even a warning for that
10 matter. It's informational. High fragmentation is an indication that
11 your filesystem may not be performing optimally, but it's not an error.
12
13 > .The solution was to run (this is
14 > where things get hazy) e2fsck <option> <option> on the offender. I
15 > keep thinking it's '-i -o', but there's no such options. Maybe it
16 > wasn't e2fsck at all. I can't remember. I don't think it was
17 > '-f''(force).
18
19 I'm not sure why your system needed to be checked for each boot.
20 Perhaps you can post the exact error message? I'm pretty sure it wasn't
21 fragmentation. What it *might* be saying (but again we can't verify
22 without an error message) is that your filesystem contains errors that
23 cannot be fixed in non-interactive mode (i.e. you need to run fsck
24 manually).
25
26 It's hard to tell you what option you need when we are unsure what
27 problem you are trying to fix.