From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo system suddenly failed to boot.
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 21:46:08
1 ср, 17 февр. 2021 г. в 13:58, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > ср, 17 февр. 2021 г. в 13:50, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
4 > >
5 > > ср, 17 февр. 2021 г. в 04:54, Edward <edwardmgibson01@×××××.com>:
6 > > >
7 > > > On 2/15/21 9:53 AM, gevisz wrote:
8 > > > > Yesterday, my relatively new install of Gentoo failed to boot with the
9 > > > > following repeated messages:
10 > > > >
11 > > > > ata5.04: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 0)
12 > > > > ata5.04: hard resetting link
13 > > > > ata5.04: failed to resume link (SStatus 0 Scontrol 0)
14 > > > >
15 > > > > My first thought was that something is wrong with my old IDE (ATA)
16 > > > > drive. (The Gentoo system partition was on /dev/sda5.)
17 > > >
18 > > > What motherboard model is this?
19 > >
20 > > It is a good question. My motherboard is Gigabyte Ultra Durable GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
21 > > and I had problems with it from the very beginning in the sense that it is
22 > > quite often doesn't see my SATA disks on the first boot (though, on the second
23 > > reboot it usually finds them). It is also quite often that it stops booting
24 > > the legacy operating system and automatically reboots before showing
25 > > a login screen.
26 > >
27 > > I bought it somewhere in 2006 together with a Gigabyte S-series GA-MA69GM-S2H
28 > > motherboard, which I have been intensively using every day since then and never
29 > > had any problem.
30 > >
31 > > In contrast, the Ultra Durable one has been used very rarely and for
32 > > quite short periods of time.
33 > > So, I do not expect it to wear off by now.
34 > >
35 > > > Probably BIOS disk controller setting needs to be set to either SATA AHCI or something else?
36 > >
37 > > Well, I will look into but the problem is that it worked previously
38 > > with the same BIOS settings.
39 > >
40 > > Below is an account of what I have done so far.
41 > >
42 > > First of all, I copied the system partition from my ATA to the SATA
43 > > drive, updated the system,
44 > > recompiled @system, openrc and gentoo-kernel, which unfortunately had
45 > > no effect on the booting problem.
46 > >
47 > > At this stage, I started to seriously consider the suggestions above
48 > > that it may be a hardware problem.
49 > >
50 > > So, I returned to the initial ATA system partition, updated the system
51 > > there, switched off swap (in fstab),
52 > > reinstalled grub on this disk and tried to boot from it. To my great
53 > > surprise it failed to boot again
54 > > complaining about links to two my SATA drives that it was not supposed
55 > > to use at all!
56 >
57 > Correction:
58 > Of course, in this case, I have not reinstalled gentoo-kernel.
59 > So, it may be that the links to my SATA drives are still in
60 > the initramfs that was created before. (The swap was one of my
61 > SATA drives.)
62 >
63 > However, I used another SATA drive to try the system from there
64 > (with swap on it) with the same failure to boot.
65 >
66 > > And the legacy operating system has absolutely no problem starting
67 > > from the ATA drive now.
68 >
69 > P.S. Currently, I am going to remove my SATA disks from the system and
70 > try to reboot it once again. If it will not help, I am going to recompile
71 > gentoo-kernel on the only remaining ATA disk. (And, if that will not help,
72 > I will look for the hammer. :)
73
74 So, I have removed both my SATA disks and tried to reboot:
75 the system stalled without any error message at all.
76
77 After that I installed gentookernel and re-created initramfs image
78 (the previous one was created by the gentoo-kernel package before
79 the removal of the SATA disks).
80
81 After that, my Gentoo system successfully rebooted from the only
82 (ATA) disk that remained.
83
84 So, the problem is partially solved.
85
86 However, I still do not understand the exact reason for it to appear.
87
88 Most probably, both my SATA disks have connection problems as
89 Oli Schmidt suggested from the very beginning, and because they
90 both have it, it points to the motherboard that already had quite
91 a bad track record.
92
93 Unfortunately, I cannot diagnose it further, but later will try
94 to experiment with attaching my SATA drives again.
95
96 Also, I am going to test voltage outputs of my Enermax power
97 supply unit when I will have such a possibility. It is quite old but
98 was not used intensively. The other one, Thermaltake, is even older,
99 was intensively used everyday, and still had no problems. (Both
100 were bought with a big margin with respect to my computer's
101 power demand).
102
103 Thanks to all who replied to this thread.