From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 04:05:46
1 On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:04:26AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2
3 > Seriously dude, this looks like a dumb scheme that gives you warm
4 > and fuzzies but doesn't actually accomplish anything except increased
5 > complexity.
6
7 I came up with this way back when I was using another distro that
8 didn't do "rolling upgrades" like Gentoo. As a matter of fact, on
9 occasion, it wouldn't do *ANY* type of upgrade, except nuke and
10 re-pave :(
11
12 This disk setup allowed me to...
13 * boot from an install CD
14 * manually wipe the contents of /boot, /tmp, /var. /usr, opt, /etc, etc.
15 * and then install the latest version from CD
16
17 ...*WITHOUT* having to move my data and home directory to another disk
18 and repartion+reformat+restore.
19
20 It also avoided having to re-size partitions whenever my space needs
21 would change.
22
23 All the advantages of lvm without the "increased complexity" of lvm.
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>