From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error during boot up.
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 08:28:39
1 On December 21, 2018 12:27:28 AM UTC, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Dale wrote:
3 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> On December 20, 2018 11:45:29 AM UTC, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
5 >wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> Peter Humphrey wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> Next upgrade idea:
12 >>> - mainboard with NVME slot
13 >>> - NVME drive for your OS.
14 >>>
15 >>> Your CPU and memory will be the next bottleneck :)
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>> --
19 >>> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
23 >> Yea.  I looked into rebuilding from scratch, less the case of
24 >course.
25 >> I'm just not sure it would be worth the speed increase.  The biggest
26 >> things I needed, more drive space and more memory.  The CPU was just
27 >> on sale.  Hard to beat $75.00 for a 8 core CPU running at over 4GHz.
28 >> Right now, it's plenty fast.  I may consider it after I do some other
29 >> things tho.  I plan to do a emerge -e world before to long.  I wanted
30 >> to let the new CPU compound sort of get set in.
31 >>
32 >> I might add, the new video card is way overpowered for what I do.
33 >> LOL  Most of the time, it maxes out at about 10% of its power and
34 >less
35 >> than 10% for memory usage.  I really can't tell much difference from
36 >> my old 220 to this new 650 series.  The biggest difference, the 650
37 >> runs much cooler.  I just hope it doesn't get bored and go to sleep.
38 >> ;-)  Oh, when I run glxgears at full screen, it still only goes to
39 >> about 60%.  It warms up a little but not a whole lot.
40 >>
41 >> Now to go see what a NVME drive is.  I don't recall ever hearing of
42 >> those.  Sounds interesting.
43 >>
44 >> Dale
45 >>
46 >> :-)  :-)
49 >OMG.  Those things are fast.  Those things make a sata drive look like
50 >a
51 >snail or something and let's not mention the old IDE drives.  Thing is,
52 >I've got a 160GB drive for the OS itself right now.  Even a 256GB one
53 >of
54 >those isn't to bad price wise.  The OS is really all I'd need on that
55 >thing anyway.  The sata drives are plenty fast enough for watching
56 >videos etc.  I wonder, how much faster would emerges go on those
57 >things?  One wouldn't even need portage's work directory on tmpfs with
58 >that.
59 >
60 >Wow!!!
61 >
62 >Dale
63 >
65
66 Considering that they, like all SSDs have a limited write cycle, I only use mine for the compiled software. I still use a tmpfs for compiling.
69 Joost
72 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.