From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm problem -- is timing?
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 07:40:05
1 On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:08:05 +0200
2 Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > > I believe there's "after device-mapper" line already in lvm-2.02.45, so
5 > > it should run fine, but as an additional precaution I have dm-crypt
6 > > script at sysinit runlevel, which starts device-mapper and dm-crypt
7 > > before lvm or even it's runlevel (boot).
8 >
9 > That's not needed, it should be sufficient to have them all in the boot
10 > runlevel:
11
12 So LVM would start before dmcrypt? Great.
15 > > It makes sense for me, since some lvm pv's (not root) are actually on
16 > > encrypted partitions, although I mount these even earlier, but should
17 > > initrd become incompatible w/ latest kernel, dm-crypt should do the job
18 > > instead.
19 >
20 > No, it does not make sense. You don't even need an initrd.
21
22 I do, but mainly for other purposes.
23 Mounting encrypted partitions from there is a bonus and while root is
24 not encrypted (although it doesn't even holds most configuration
25 from /etc) it is an LVM volume.
26 Can linux boot from lvm root w/o initrd these days?
30 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net