From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and addons no longer supported question
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 10:37:29
1 On 03/31 12:17, Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On 31 March 2018 at 10:18, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
3 > > Exceptions are only certain well-defined APIs which will presumably
4 > > not change dramatically in future versions.
5 > > For instance, there is a tab API, but essentially it is limited
6 > > to basic things like searching/activating/closing/opening tabs etc:
7 > > https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Working_with_the_Tabs_API
8 > > So no WebExtension will ever be able to offer tab functionality which
9 > > goes beyond that.
10 >
11 > Take a look at their bugzilla for bugs tracking a lot of new
12 > functionality in the extension APIs that will come in future releases.
13 > Especially around tabs, as many popular extensions did stuff with
14 > tabs.
15 >
16 > Personally I upgraded despite losing some stuff, but I think most of
17 > it will return in some form at some point.
20 Firefox is eaten my RAM (8GB) . An application, which does not co-operate
21 with other applications due to its memory footprint does not co-operate
22 with other application due to its memory footprint regardless how
23 advance it is.
24
25 There two reasons for which I have switched to waterfox: Privacy and
26 memory.
27
28 About:config and search for "telemetry"
29
30 Or check how many URLS are configured under about:config.
31 Why need the browser need to know them in beforehand?
32
33 Cheers
34 Meino