From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Dig
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:33:49
1 Willie Wong <wwong <at> Princeton.EDU> writes:
4 > > > What package is the command `dig' in?
5 > > equery belongs dig
6 > > is a really nifty search tool....
7
8 > except it doesn't work when bind-tools isn't ALREADY installed. =D
9
10 > I was trying to find out which package to emerge.
11
12 Yes it would require you to search or have somebody search on a system
13 that has the package already installed. I have one of my gentoo sytems
14 with tons of stuff install, the rest are fairly targeted as to what's
15 installed.
16
17 Which brings me to another point. Maybe the developers could run an equery
18 covering thousands of commands (sub-packages if you like) against the
19 installation base and parse it out into a human browsable form.
20
21 Debian has such an index, and I often visit to see what software can do what.
22 Unless I've missed the wiki, there's really no place at all to read about
23 the various pacakges available on Gentoo.
24
25 James
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list