From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ghosting a Ext3 partition
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 04:30:18
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 02:04:31 -0500
3 > "Ritesh Kumar" <ritesh@××××××.edu> wrote:
6 >> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
7 >> wrote:
10 >>>> Doesn't Ghost work with Ext3? What can I do to
11 >>>> recover my system without
12 >>>> reinstalling from scratch?
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>> I've had success with #dd if=<partition-to-be-copied>
16 >>> of=<partition-to-be-copied-to> bs=<varies>
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >> Is there a reason why you backup the filesystem along with the data
21 >> on it? I do only minor backups... but even for anything major I would
22 >> use a tool like tar or rsync and drop the filesystem metadata
23 >> entirely.
24 >>
25 >> Also directly reading from the block device is hazardous unless you
26 >> umount (or mount as readonly) the filesystem in question. This is
27 >> because, the filesystem may not keep all the data synced to the disk
28 >> at all points in time.
31 > not that i'd recommend it for production systems, but you could mount
32 > with the 'sync' option to help with this.
35 Even mounting sync is not safe, if you want to use dd for a backup then
36 boot from the live cd to backup everything. Otherwise using these
37 methods is risking a backup that once restored, does not work - not good
38 for the blood pressure...
39
40 If you want to back the system up while it is running (in particular /),
41 then you need to use a tool that understands how to create a backup
42 image that is valid (i.e will boot) - something like xfsdump, dumpe2fs
43 etc or smart tar/dump based tools like Amanda.
44
45 I would recommend using one of the dump tools for /boot, /, /usr, /var
46 *at least*. I've had the misfortune of helping many people restore their
47 broken Linux and Freebsd systems... and the only backups I've never had
48 issues with have been the *dump variety. They are a little unfriendly at
49 first, but they work.
50
51 regards
52