From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SCIRE Project
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:55:09
1 Hello everyone!!!!
2
3 Here on my company we are going to start deploying Gentoo Linux on our
4 customers. Every server will have the very same installed packages,
5 the very same use flags, very same cflags, only a few configurations
6 will differ.
7
8 I would like the deployment and maintenance to be done as easily as
9 possible because this project needs to be scalable to more than 100
10 servers. Although we are going to install only 10 servers in the
11 beginning, my boss says that I should be prepared for this number to
12 grow.
13
14 Yesterday I found about the SCIRE project that seems to solve my
15 problems easily. But it seems that the project's development is
16 stopped. Unfortunately, I don't know a thing of Phyton, so I can't
17 help. Do anyone know how is the project going? Are we going to have a
18 production usable release? If so, when? It's not like I'm pushing
19 anything, I just want to know if I can count on it or not.
20
21 Setting the project aside, I'm thinking about developing my own
22 installer to install a catalyst's stage4 and reboot a working Gentoo.
23 After that I'm thinking about using emerge with binary packages to
24 install updates automatically. What do you think? Will it work? Is it
25 possible to rollback an update if something goes wrong?
26
27 To solve the problem with incompatible configuration files, everytime
28 I upgrade anything, a perl script will reconfigure the customers
29 server.
30
31 Thank you all for your help and insights.
32
33 Best regards,
34 Daniel Colchete
35 --