From: Alastair Irving <alastair.irving@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why does gnome-python-desktop have so many dependencies?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:48:31
1 On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 07:25:07PM +0100, Alastair Irving wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 06:42:05PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 26 June 2008, Alastair Irving wrote:
4 > > > Hi
5 > > >
6 > > >
7 > > > I'm trying to run a program which requires the wnck python module,
8 > > > which I believe is part of the gnome-python-desktop package. I like
9 > > > to keep my gnome desktop minimal, but this package wants to install
10 > > > the following:
11 > >
12 > > You're going about this the wrong way. Rather post which program you
13 > > want to run, why it needs a python module, then we can help you figure
14 > > out how to avoid emerging the known universe.
15 > >
16 > > The info you have given describes an end result but we have no idea how
17 > > you got there.
18 > >
19 > > Incidentally, what happens if you remove the X USE flag and try again?
23 > The X use flag doesn't seem to make any difference.
24 >
25 > as for what i'm trying to do, i was installing the latest version of
26 > the orca screenreader from source, as I wanted a more up-to-date
27 > version than that provided by portage. The portage version doesn't
28 > depend on wnck but all more recent versions do. If there's no
29 > solution then I presume when the next version gets added to portage
30 > it'll require all the dependencies which will be rather inconvenient.
34 > Hope this clarrifies the situation
37 I've resolved this by installing the gnome-python-desktop package
38 manually from source. The configure script for it detects which
39 libraries are installed and only compiles the modules it can given
40 those libraries. Therefore, there's no need to install everything
41 just for one module. Its just a shame this isn't implemented in
42 portage somehow.
43
44 Alastair
47 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list