From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:16:59
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >
3 > I've been waiting for a proper statistical analysis of this question for
4 > years. I'm still waiting :-) Besides, modern storage presents an extra
5 > wrinkle. Defrag as most of the world knows it originated in DOS, where disk
6 > sectors were guaranteed to be laid out on disk in the order of their sector
7 > number. These days we have no such guarantee, and you cannot really be sure
8 > if blocks are laid out contiguously on-disk just by looking at the blocks
9 > numbers. I don't know of any filesystem tool that knows how to interrogate a
10 > drive's firmware and get it right for every storage type out there.
15 I never thought about the blocks and how they are laid out on the
16 drive. If you think about it, they can have those things anywhere.
17 Even if they are laid out by a defrag tool in proper sequence, they may
18 not be laid out that way on the platter(s). Sort of makes one wonder if
19 some file systems can really even be defragged below a certain amount.
20
21 < Dale scratches his chin and thinks >
22
23 Dale
24