From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] pop3 server advice
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:21:13
1 On 27 Jun 2006, at 12:44, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > I need to install a pop3 server for very light usage. So my wife can
4 > pull her mail off my home lan linux server to her windows XP home box.
5
6 Why POP3 & not IMAP?
7
8 IMAP would allow her to keep the same view of her email whether
9 accessing the mail from Outlook Express or webmail and leaves a
10 master copy of the messages on the server, which is useful for
11 backup. Should XP crash or need installation on the laptop then an
12 IMAP server will allow you to return her mailboxes to the previous
13 state just by setting up the account details & running a single sync.
14
15 I would consider looking at the Dovecot or Courier IMAP servers. When
16 I looked at this before Christmas I decided that I preferred Dovecot,
17 and installed that on a customer's production server which has been
18 running happily since, but Courier is well-documented (many HOWTOs on
19 the Gentoo site & on the Gentoo Wiki) and I have been running that at
20 home for three years or so without a glitch.
21
22 Stroller.
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list