From: Florian CROUZAT <gentoo@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tmux vs. screen
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 22:25:47
1 On 18 nov. 2010, at 20:52, Paul Hartman wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Stroller
4 > <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >> I think what really won my heart, and did so quite quickly, is that tmux has a
6 >> status bar configured by default. I'm pretty sure you can do that with screen,
7 >> too, but I've never bothered, because it seemed too much effort to learn and it
8 >> just seemed flashy and pointless. I realised how mistaken I was within a couple
9 >> of hours of using tmux. It has absolutely changed the way I use terminal
10 >> multiplexers, and so I spent several hours the next day configuring mine and
11 >> getting the colours and stuff perfect.
12 >
13 > I have not used tmux but I agree completely, I hate to use screen
14 > without the status bar. I'm using one I copied from here or the forums
15 > or the gentoo wiki or someplace out there in WWW land. (Thanks to the
16 > person who made it, whoever you are)
17 >
18 > Add this to your .screenrc:
19 > caption always "%{= kw}%-w%{= BW}%n %t%{-}%+w %-= @%H - %LD %d %LM - %c"
20
21 Also, amongst other things, >=tmux-1.3 has mouse support.
22 You can scroll using your mouse in copy mode and use your mouse to select one of the splitted panes of your active window.
23 You can also break/join panes in and out the active window and it has awesome predefined layouts.
24 I'll add that tmux has a readable and even understandable man page and the dev(s) is really reactive on the ml/irc.
25
26 ps : in case anyone needs a customized tmux.conf, here's mine http://sprunge.us/WHNU
27
28 -----
29 Florian.
30 / For security reasons, all text in this mail
31 is double-rot13 encrypted. /