From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CIFS mounts started misbehaving
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2017 08:03:22
1 On March 4, 2017 12:41:05 AM GMT+01:00, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 2017-03-03, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On March 3, 2017 7:49:27 PM GMT+01:00, Grant Edwards
5 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >>>About a week ago, they started acting oddly. They all mount fine,
8 >and
9 >>>work as usual as long as you keep using them. AFAICT, if they sit
10 >>>idle for "a while" (tens of minutes, maybe an hour), they freeze up.
11 >
12 >[...]
13 >
14 >> My guess would be some timeout setting on the server killing the
15 >> login.
16 >
17 >That doesn't seem to be the problem. I've asked around, and others
18 >aren't seeing this problem.
19 >
20 >I've also noticed that sometimes the mounts will start working again
21 >without a umount/mount, but I can't figure out what causes it...
22 >
23 >Normally, when things are working but idle, the TCP connection to 445
24 >shows an SMB echo request/rseponse transaction once per minute. When
25 >it fails, the TCP connection evidently got dropped, and the Windows
26 >machine repeatedly shuts down new ones:
27 >
28 >The failure mode looks like this in wireshark:
29 >
30 > Gentoo Windows
31 >
32 > -> SYN -> 445
33 > <- SYN/ACK <- 445
34 > -> ACK -> 445
35 > -> SMB[echo req] -> 445
36 > <- RST <- 445
37 >
38 >[that repeats 800 times per second for long periods of time]
39 >
40 >Then at some point, it starts to work:
41 >
42 > -> SYN -> 445
43 > <- SYN/ACK <- 445
44 > -> ACK -> 445
45 > -> SMB[proto neg req] -> 445
46 > <- SMB[proto neg rsp] <- 445
47 > -> SMB[ses setup req] -> 445
48 > <- SMB[ses setup rsp] <- 445
49 > ...
50 >
51 >Sometimes the umount times out and "fails" because the "host is down",
52 >and when that happens, it seems like it immediately starts to work
53 >again. :/
54
55 Are other hosts linux or windows?
56
57 Maybe a dodgy switch forgetting the correct path?
60 Joost
61 --
62 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.