From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stuff accumulating in /tmp
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 08:55:33
1 On Sunday 20 January 2008, Dale wrote:
2 > Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > A problem I have is that Firefox is not deleting .pdf files from
4 > > /tmp after I have viewed & saved them elsewhere (using Kpdf).
5 > > There seems to be no place in Firefox or Kpdf settings to change
6 > > this. Does anyone have a useful suggestion for automatically
7 > > deleting them ?
8 >
9 > Since /tmp has been talked about on -dev, reboot will do it.
10
11 Only if /tmp is a tmpfs.
12
13 On a machine used as a desktop, this is a good idea as they are rebooted
14 often and the FHS states that the contents of /tmp should not be relied
15 on to survive a reboot.
16
17 On a server style machine that is not rebooted often, tmpwatch running
18 in a cron does a good job of this.
19
20 alan
24 Alan McKinnon