From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Routine update wants to install 3 version of Ruby + 50 others
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:23:38
1 On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:18:43 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 11/12/2013 11:08, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:29:56 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > >
6 > >>> I detest python, also, but there's no way w/out it.
7 > >
8 > >> I like python - the language was designed by a mathematician and it
9 > >> shows. Contrast with perl which was designed by a linguist, and that
10 > >> shows too.
11 > >>
12 > >> As you say you can't run Gentoo with portage without Python, that's
13 > >> one of the things you know for sure up front.
14 > >
15 > > What does it matter whether you like the language or not when you are
16 > > only using software written in it? It only matters is you develop that
17 > > software. I cannot get on with Perl, but I am not at all bothered
18 > > about using software written in it.
19 >
20 > It doesn't matter whether I like it or not. I just happened to mention
21 > that I do.
22
23 My reply was directed more at Bruce's comment, I left yours in to add
24 context (and, it turned out, confusion).
25
26 > I also like living in a place with 360 days sunshine a year,
27
28 How tedious, what do you talk about? ;-)
29
30 > I like the taste of grilled beef and have a special soft spot for
31 > Englishmen skilled in the art of snarky comments (you can thank Monty
32 > Python for that one).
33
34 I'm not getting involved in that one, arguments are down the corridor.
35
36 > > If you really have some philosophical or allergenic objection to even
37 > > having Python installed, you could always use a different package
38 > > manager.
39 >
40 > Well that's what I said, init? "run Gentoo with portage"
41
42 Don't mention init, that one has its own department.
46 Neil Bothwick
47
48 Top Oxymorons Number 34: Silent scream