From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] And so the emerge spake: Let there be conflicts...and see, everything was chaos and sin...
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:35:33
1 150427 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 27/04/2015 00:23, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >> I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's deceptively hard
4 >> to automatically come up with a list of non-ridiculous suggestions
5 >> before the user in question dies of old age : https://xkcd.com/1425/ .
6
7 That expresses the extremes well enough,
8 but one would hope that the Portage output problem lies between them.
9
10 > I'm aware of the scope of the problem, and I'm not asking Portage
11 > to infer what I might want or suggest solutions I didn't ask for.
12 > Besides, "what I want" is already unambiguously defined by world
13 > and the contents of /etc/portage/.
14 > I'd be much happier if portage took the information *it already has*
15 > and formatted its output a tad more parseable to human brains.
16 > Right now what it's doing is the equivalent of a core dump
17 > with "ah, fuck it, I give up. Here, you figure this shit out".
18
19 This expresses Gentoo users' difficulties all too well (smile).
20
21 What we are asking is for the devs to accept there is a problem,
22 have a proper look at it & try to make Portage output more understandable.
23 We are always grateful for their volunteer efforts.
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca