From: Yoav Luft <yoav.luft@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Adding a gentoo workstation to Active Directory network
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:31:40
1 Hello all,
2 My workplace has decided to adventure to lands of embedded Linux. As I am
3 the only one in my department with prior Linux experience, I was given the
4 task of setting up a Linux workstation that will be used as the host machine
5 for our embedded system. Since my only Linux experience with anything but
6 Gentoo is with Debian, and it's a bad experience, I have chosen to make the
7 host Gentoo-Linux.
8 Everything is well, and the machine is running and officially I completed my
9 task, but something still bothers me:
10 The machine is connect to the company's computer network. In the Windows
11 workstations, I log into a user that exists on the company's servers, and
12 not on the individual workstations, and when I log certain network shares
13 get mounted automatically (for example, "My Documents" sits on the server)
14 and so on. My username and password are used automatically everywhere on the
15 network, and so on. I assume this is the working of Active Directory, but my
16 assumption maybe mistaken... Anyway, I want to duplicate this behavior on
17 the Gentoo box, and I could find any documentation about it that I found to
18 be relevant. For now, I have a small script in /etc/profile.d/ that mounts
19 important shares, although the localizations is some what wrong and
20 non-English files appear as question marks (They should be in Hebrew). Can
21 anyone help me or point to some howto, guide, whatever that I might have
22 missed?