From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] initramfs & RAID at boot time
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:33:09
1 Hi,
2 I've never learned to do an initramfs as I've never used hardware
3 in a Linux box that required it. However now I find myself using mdadm
4 software-RAID and getting dinged on the linux-raid list when I ask
5 about things like the kernel autodetecting RAID drives at boot time as
6 the mdadm developers are firmly fixated on using initramfs and
7 auto-detecting nothing. Going with the flow I'm studying this Gentoo
8 Wiki link:
9
10 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
11
12 and most specifically this portion on software RAID:
13
14 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs#Software_RAID
15
16 where the statement "But if you use an initramfs the kernel will not
17 automatically scan for RAIDs until it is told to." caught my
18 attention. Does anyone know if the word "not" in that statement is
19 absolutely true? I.e. - if I take a kernel that today finds a RAID1 /
20 drive and boots, that if I do nothing other than turn on that feature
21 in the kernel then the boot process is not going to assemble my RAID,
22 not find / and then fail to boot?
23
24 Maybe I'm reading too much into that but I like that my system
25 boots and I don't think I want to do things that stop it from doing
26 so... ;-)
27
28 That said, if it's true, does the "noinitrd" kernel parameter
29 override it and then RAID would work and the boot completes normally?
30
31 Thanks,
32 Mark