From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Openmoko Freerunner as USB client
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 05:07:01
1 On 18 Oct 2009, at 00:09, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> The hack that springs to mind is to see if you can pick up an
4 >> Openmoko
5 >> Freerunner with a broken screen. I'd guess you might be able to pick
6 >> one up for as little as $50 or so. It needs no SIM - you just connect
7 >> it to your office wifi instead, configure it to act as a mass storage
8 >> device and share the appropriate directory by Samba or NFS or
9 >> whatever.
10 > ...
11 > Well, even $200 might be okay. I need this for a commercial project
12 > anyway,
13 > and I guess the customer would be happy not to have to move around USB
14 > sticks.
15
16 Honestly, I'm a little staggered the supplier of the ultrasound PC
17 doesn't offer a network share. I mean, you can lock things down and
18 still offer a network share; if USB memory sticks are permitted then
19 there is room to accommodate this.
20
21 > But even better, I guess already have such a thing! My girl-friend
22 > got one a
23 > year ago, but was not happy with it. I just uses too much energy,
24 > has to be
25 > recharged every day. And there is some bug, when the battery is
26 > completely
27 > dead, it cannot be recharged - the moko needs another battery to
28 > start, then
29 > it can be exchanged with the dead one and recharged.
30
31 I believe that it was discovered you can start off USB power if you
32 hold down the AUX button at the same time as the main power. I believe
33 this works for 99% of Freerunners, so you remove the battery and test
34 switching it on this way, connected to USB. If it works you don't need
35 to worry about carrying a spare battery.
36
37 > Maybe there is s newer software, she hasn't looked for that for a
38 > while. And
39 > I thought the project is about dead anyway, but that may also be
40 > completely
41 > wrong. Anyway, the device would be already here, so I can play
42 > around with
43 > it.
44
45 The SHR software seems to be pretty good, I get the impression that it
46 has made vast improvements over the last year. I have to admit I
47 really haven't used mine much, either, but this is for unrelated
48 reasons of disorganisation and laziness.
49
50 I would say that, yes, hardware development seems to be pretty much
51 dead (although they are still manufacturing the units new), but
52 actually the community and software projects are really active. I
53 tried the SHR unstable (it's more stable than the stable) and it seems
54 pretty useable. I think it'll maybe be great if it continues to
55 improve at this rate.
56
57 I think what has really killed Openmoko is the inability to get hold
58 of 3G chips in the low quantities and licensing terms they required.
59 Lack of camera and 3G were the biggest source of "this is lame, i was
60 really interested but lacking these i'm not buying a freerunner"
61 whinges on the mailing list. I think now, a year or so later, and
62 looking to the future this looks really dated. I gather Openmoko have
63 pretty dropped development of phones, although this WikiReder was
64 announced last week, and apparently something else is in the pipeline.
65
66 I would be quite interested if the SHR platform was ported to run on
67 Android hardware - I don't see anything else with the Freerunner's
68 screen resolution, but aside from that all the Android phones have 3G,
69 cameras (not that I care about that) and a decent form-factor. I
70 prefer the notion of being able to code in whatever language I want,
71 even though I'm (realistically speaking) unlikely to get my ass in
72 gear and actually do any, rather than being tied down to some whacky
73 Java-esque environment. I started tinkering with my Freerunner again
74 recently, installed SHR unstable, and it was really nice being able to
75 install from an OSS repository using the command-line.
76
77 Stroller.