From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 06:58:04
1 On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:14:54AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2 > On 30/08/2017 13:25, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 09:49:58AM -0700, Rich Freeman wrote
4 > >> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >>>
6 > >>> Another example is LVM. You or I might really need it (debatable now we
7 > >>> have ZFS) but the average user has no concept of what it might be, or
8 > >>> care. So why do Ubuntu installers shove it in your face as something
9 > >>> really cool that you should really really use? Because the author of the
10 > >>> installer thinks it's really cool, that's why.
11 > >>>
12 > >>
13 > >> Maybe.
14 > >>
15 > >> Or maybe because when that computer's hard drive starts getting full
16 > >> and you add a new hard drive, if you're using lvm with a few commands
17 > >> you can make your /home expand across both drives, while with straight
18 > >> partitions that is a lot more work.
19 > >
20 > > 1) I don't recall having added a hard drive for many years.
21 > >
22 > > 2) How difficult is it to symlink directories?
23 >
24 > Oh that part is easy. One command, ln, with the option -s.
25 >
26 > Now go and get your grandma to do it, and come tell us what happened.
27
28 Now go and get your grandma to find and buy the right type of internal
29 drive for her computer (i.e. with the right type of connector), install
30 it into the drive bay, and adjust /etc/fstab accordingly, and come tell
31 us what happened.
34 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
35 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications