From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel config strangeness
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 16:52:11
1 On 2019.08.01 22:05, Adam Carter wrote:
2 >> However, if I start with the .config which workd, and "make xconfig"
3 >> and select "Supported processor types" under "Processor type and
4 >> features" and then unselect "Support Intel Pprocessors" (I have a
5 >> Ryzen) and save the config, it decreases the size of .config from
6 >> 169K to under 13K, losing almost every setting in the file.
7 >
8 > Checking my systems, .config is 131k (AMD system, so
9 > CONFIG_CPU_SUP_INTEL is not set) and an Intel system is 116k.
10 >
11 > Try following the same procedure using make menuconfig instead of
12 > make xconfig and see what happens.
13 >
14 First, I finally figured out this is not really important for me.
15 "Supported Processor types" is ONLY for 32 bits. One or more of those
16 need to be set ONLY if the kernel needs to run on a 32 bit system.
17 That is why it would be set for any live image which will run on 32
18 bits, but would all be off for any distro that no longer supports 32
19 bits.
20
21 Using menuconfig does not truncate .config. However, my current guess
22 is that some combination of settings where "Supported processor types"
23 (CONFIG_PROCESSOR_SELECT) IS selected and perhaps one of it's sub
24 settings (CONFIG_CPU XXX) is NOT selected causes make xconfig or
25 gconfig to completely reset the configuration, reducing the next saved
26 version to under 10k.
27
28 I found a (not much used) linux-config mailing list, and I'll probably
29 post the issue there.
30
31 Jack