From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Laptop ATI Integrated Video Performance?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 18:28:17
1 On 2007-12-25, Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > I have a Gateway laptop with an integrated ATI graphics board. lspci
4 > detects it as:
5 >
6 > 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS485 [Radeon
7 > Xpress 1100 IGP]
8 >
9 > However when attempting to view a DVD at full screen, the display is a
10 > bit "jumpy" as if the video hardware is not fast enough.
11
12 It's pretty hard to believe that the video hardware is the
13 problem. I've played back DVDs on laptop ATI chipsets a decade
14 older than yours and it worked fine. I've currently got a two
15 year old ATI laptop chipset (X300?), and it has no trouble
16 playing DVDs using either the Radeon or the fglrx drive.
17
18 My guess is the optical drive doesn't have DMA enabled.
19
20 You may want to check to make sure the XV video overlay support
21 is enabled, but even without it, playing back SD video purely
22 in software shouldn't be a problem on anything with a CPU
23 faster than 500MHz.
26 Grant
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list