From: Hiren Dave <hiren2k4@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Bind Questions
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:28:31
1 Hi,
2
3 I am learning Linux DNS server (named) and I found that the "host
4 <hostname>" command works
5 only if there is an entry in the corresponding domain zone file(i.e.
6 localhost.zone) and the "dig -x <ip>" command
7 works only if there is an entry in the corresponding reverse domain zone
8 file(i.e. 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.zone). And it
9 is not necessary to enter hostname in hosts file. Also in the same network
10 there are many linux and windows
11 clients but the Linuz DNS server (named) is not giving any response to the
12 host or dig command by its own. Can any one tell me
13 how the Named/DNS server works? How it discovers neighboorhood(local LAN)
14 hosts? Also can we check/list all the hosts/ip addresses that are cached by
15 dns server? If yes, then HOW?
16
17 Any answers/suggestions will be appreciated. Hiren Dave