From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thunderbird and chinese fonts
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 22:15:53
1 On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 16:54:14 +0200
2 Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz> wrote:
6 > Am 18.06.2012 16:15, schrieb walt:
7 > > On 06/18/2012 04:01 AM, Michael Hampicke wrote:
8 > >> Thing is, when I view messages in Thunderbird - I use TB13 - that
9 > >> are encoded in GB2312 and have chinese characters in them, the
10 > >> font looks rather ugly. Unicode messages with or without chinese
11 > >> characters look much better. I attached a screenshot for you to
12 > >> see what I mean.
13 > >
14 > > I've never noticed until now that in the tb preferences dialog, in
15 > > the Display tab, there is an 'Advanced' button next to 'Fonts'.
16 > >
17 > > That Advanced dialog offers to let you select different fonts for
18 > > 'Western', 'Japanese', 'Chinese', etc. You might try changing some
19 > > of those settings as an experiment.
22 > Dead on! Never saw that tiny button! Just changed the font from 'Sans
23 > Serif' to 'DejaVu Sans' for all 3 chinese languages, and now
24 > everything looks perfectly fine.
27 Sans Serif is not a real font, it's usually a symlink. Same with Serif
28 and Monospace. They are supposed to be generic things where you can
29 specify the default font you like of those three types.
30
31 Your Sans Serif is apparently not set, it's using what looks like
32 Helvetica (yuck). Use font-config to set it to DejaVu Sans instead (or
33 nay other decent font of your liking) and things like this won;t happen
34 anywhere else on your box.
39 Alan McKinnnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com