From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: distfiles contains extra files?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 21:54:56
1 On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 21:35:47 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > That's exactly what it is for. One-off files that the ebuild
4 > > downloads, uses and then no longer needs. Nothing in $DISTDIR is
5 > > needed by a running system.
6
7 > Ok so anything needed for a build of a particular package goes into
8 > /usr/portage/distfiles?
9
10 anything that needs to be downloaded, yes.
11
12 > I thought ebuilds use /var/tmp/portage for that.
13
14 No. PORTAGE_TMPDIR is the temporary directory use for building the
15 software to install.
16
17 > If in needs to hang around longer (than a /tmp file typically
18 > hangs out for, when not put it under the another logical place.
19
20 $DISTDIR is the logical place. It is where portage puts the files that
21 projects use the distribute their work, hence the name.
22
23 > Like I said I thought /distfiles/ contains compressed sources
24 > and other file needed, all rolled into a common format, like*.bz2.
25
26 It contains source files in whatever format they are supplied, which may
27 or may not be compressed (think ebuilds that download from a VCS). source
28 in this case means the source of the software, not necessarily source
29 code as some ebuilds are for binary distributions.
30
31 > It we start (continue) strowing files into /distfiles/ where does it
32 > end?
33
34 With a full hard drive, unless you maintain it, this is Gento after all.
35 But other distros do a similar thing, Debian downloads all the .deb.
36 files for an operation before it starts installing them, and keeps them
37 in a cache.
38
39 I really don't see the problem here. Portage has to download files, it
40 has to save them somewhere, and we users may want to keep them for later
41 re-use. Portage does all of that in a sane manner. The only thing that
42 stops you from seeing this is the invalid assumption that $DISTDIR is
43 only for compressed tarballs of source code. man make.conf describes what
44 $DISTDIR, $PORTAGE_TMPDIR etc. are for, you cannot redefine that on a
45 whim and then say portage is doing it wrong.
49 Neil Bothwick
50
51 To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is
52 half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.