From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:24:40
1 kashani wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I recently got DSL and youtube is growing on me. LOL I been trying to
6 >> find a really good hard drive that is around 400 to 500Gb and pretty
7 >> fast. It has to be a IDE drive, you know, the big wide cables. I don't
8 >> have SATA on this rig.
9 >>
10 >> I have a Maxtor that I like and is pretty fast but it appears they are a
11 >> little hard to find nowadays. In matter of importance: size, price,
12 >> speed. Newegg is great but will consider others as well.
13 >>
14 >> Thanks for any pointers. Open to ideas.
15 >
16 > SATA PCI card should be < $20. I'd then go with a SATA II drive.
17 >
18 > kashani
22 I thought I would post what I ended up getting. This actually works
23 pretty well.
24
25 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152100
26
27 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815102102
28
29 The drive formats out to about 732Gb with resierfs. This is the speed
30 result from hdparm:
31
32 root@smoker / # hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
33
34 /dev/sda:
35 Timing cached reads: 860 MB in 2.00 seconds = 429.42 MB/sec
36 Timing buffered disk reads: 246 MB in 3.02 seconds = 81.55 MB/sec
37 root@smoker / #
38
39 That is with KDE running. It is a little faster in console with no GUI
40 running but its not a lot. It is a good bit faster than my IDE drives
41 tho. Almost double the speed.
42
43 The reason I picked a somewhat slower card is because someone said PCI
44 would be the bottleneck so I saw no need for a really fast and expensive
45 card. I did get a fast drive since when I build my new rig I can swap
46 it over to it. Oh, the new rig will be a while yet. I ran up on a
47 really nice TV and I spent what I had saved on that. My old TV was
48 about 20 years old. I now have a LG 32" LCD TV that is 1080p and a
49 DirecTv HD box to go with it. I really like watching the history
50 channel when they show the Egyptian tombs and stuff. It's like being
51 there in person almost.
52
53 Anyway, that is the update. Thanks much for guiding me through the
54 selection process.
55
56 Dale
57