From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] printing problems : hiccups solve them
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 06:39:02
1 On Thursday 05 Nov 2015 06:21:16 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 151103 Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > The basic problem is now clear : this printer won't print draft quality,
4 > > but leaves blank bands across the output (no, it's not an old cartridge).
5 > > Therefore, something has to tell it to print 'high-quality' or 'best'.
6 > >
7 > > In Mint, when that is set via the 631 menu, printing works correctly :
8 > > I can print text files via Gvim (icon or :ha ) & Gedit, .odt via LO
9 > > & PDF via Evince ; Gedit & Evince have their own quality settings.
10 > >
11 > > In Gentoo, the 631 setting has no effect, so all printing is draft.
12 > > Only Kwrite has its own quality setting, which does work properly for
13 > > text.
14 >
15 > I've found the source of the problem.
16 > It's necessary to choose the 'hpcups' driver, not the 'hpijs' driver,
17 > when setting up the printer via the 631 menu.
18 > Once that's done, Gvim Okular LO all print 'best' quality correctly.
19 >
20 > There is also a quality setting hidden away in the LO menus :
21 > tools -> options -> LO -> print : set 'high' = 300 dpi.
22 >
23 > My route to the solution was via trying the 'gutenprint' pkg.
24 > It doesn't offer a driver for an HP DJ 2510 , only 2500 or 2540,
25 > but that led me to look thro' the other drivers in the 631 menu
26 > & one of them was 'hpcups'.
27 >
28 > I'm surprised -- well, am I really ? -- that there's no mention of all this
29 > in any of the dox, wikis, Forum discussions etc etc I've scoured.
30 > However as usual, all problems with Gentoo are 1 level deep :
31 > find where it is & the solution falls into place promptly (smile).
32
33 Ahh! Yes, I forgot about this. Sorry :-)
34
35 hpcups is the newer driver for HP printers. On a new box I set up hpcups and
36 it worked with my old HP printer, without hpjis, but older boxen still print
37 fine with hpjis, so I left them alone. From what you're saying your printer
38 *must* use hpcups.
41 Regards,
42 Mick