From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Qustions re Dell M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drives under Gentoo
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 21:05:19
1 It was nice to have a newer "hot backup" (XPS8940) to switch over to
2 quickly when an older machine started locking up occasionally. Now I
3 need a "hot backup" for the newer machine that I ordered last October.
4 Dell Inspirons seem to top out at 12 gigs ram, so I'm looking for an XPS
5 model in order to get more ram as the bloating of linux continues. All
6 current XPS models seem to have 256G or 512G M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State
7 drives in the base configuration. Questions...
8
9 * do NVMe drives function well under Gentoo (driver issues, etc)?
10
11 * how long do they hold up (wear and tear)?
12
13 * can I simply disable them if I run into problems?
14
15 If someone can suggest an alternate supplier to Dell, that ships to
16 greater Toronto, at similar prices, I'd be willing to take a look at
17 them.
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
21 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications