From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: uvesafb - does it require use of initramfs/initrd?
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:34:05
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I'm ashamed to admit I made the most basic mistake. I compiled uvesafb
4 > as a module. Oops! Compiled it as "Y" instead of "M" and now I have a
5 > pair of Tux sitting atop my kernel boot screen and no more 80x25
6 > horror. :)
7
8 Is there some difference in uvesafb and vesafb? I've always just ignored
9 the uvesafb choice and used plain vesafb.
10
11 I just assumed from the name of it and the menuconfig help on it that
12 it was something only usable in `userspace'. I took that to mean
13 after bootup.. something you'd do from the command line.
14
15 Anyone here that can explain what the difference is.