From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] skype package changes I don't understand
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 16:13:27
1 On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> I love my Gentoo-devs, but what is the train of thought here?
5 >>> skype-2.2.0.35-r1 was ~amd64 yesterday. It's installed and working
6 >>> fine. Today 2.2.0.35-r99 is ~amd64, which is perfectly fine, but
7 >>> they've completely removed -r1 and now I'm required to unmask
8 >>> emulation packages that only came out today? That doesn't seem quite
9 >>> right...
10 >>>
11 >>> Why did they completely get rid of -r1? That should stick around for a
12 >>> little while after -r99 becomes ~amd64, shouldn't it?
13 >>>
14 >>> - Mark
15 > <SNIP>
16 >>
17 >> -r1 had a security problem. You should unmask the emulation packages
18 >> and continue the update process. Look at the ChangeLog so see what
19 >> changed. Both versions are ~amd64 so I don't understand your complain
20 >> about keeping -r1 in the tree for a while.
21 >>
22 >> Markos
25 > Thanks Markos. That's likely what I'll do, although the alternative
26 > I'm looking at for now is possibly getting -r1 from an overlay.
27 >
28 > I didn't think I was _complaining_. I was just asking what the train
29 > of thought was that leads them to do this sort of thing. Everything in
30 > the world has a security problem. We know they are either found or not
31 > found. Unmasking 8 emulation libraries that have _yesterdays_ date in
32 > their names, and therefore makes them quite new, may:
33 >
34 > 1) Create more security problems
35 >
36 > 2) Create issues with other programs that use the libraries.
37 >
38 > Anyway, thanks for the response. I'll either unmask or use an overlay.
39 >
40 > Cheers,
41 > Mark
44 Well, based on my experience, the emul-* packages are rather safe to
45 use so it should not be a problem to unmask them. Otherwise, you can
46 always grab -r1 from http://sources.gentoo.org and keep it in a local
47 overlay
48
49 Markos