From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 23:20:42
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > Whenever I see a write-up of Gentoo, it's describe as a system
3 > similar to BSD "ports" where you build packages from source.
4 > The main benefit claimed for this approach is that you get
5 > better performance because all executables are optimized for
6 > exactly the right instruction set.
7 >
8 > Where did that bit of apocrypha come from, and why is it
9 > parroted by so many people?
10
11 IIRC as late as 2001 almost all distros were primarily built for i386
12 there were definite improvements to be had by moving to i686. For things
13 that do complicated math like Mysql, openssl, etc there were noticeable
14 improvements. Apache likely doesn't benefit at all from anything beyond
15 i686, but things like video encoding/decoding do have code that can take
16 advantage of mmx, sse, etc.
17 Additionally when NTPL hit glibc-2.3 Gentoo was one of the first
18 distros that let you move to a NTPL glibc which practically doubled
19 Mysql performance in our environment. Not instruction based, but most
20 other distros required waiting an additional six months for a release to
21 get this.
22
23 kashani