From: CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo, new computer, still a bit confused
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:29:24
1 On 07/22/11 23:07, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 6:53 PM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hi everyone,
6 >> Because this will be a new computer and I may essentially void the
7 >> warranty if I alter the pre-configuration, I seriously thought about
8 >> leaving the status quo and putting up with Windows 7.
9 >>
10 >> What would you recommend that I used for the iso an stage 3? As a
11 >> reminder my computer is a Dell XPS 8300 with an Intel Core -i7-2600
12 >> processor. I'm a little confused between the choices x86 (which seems
13 >> to only apply to Pentium 4 systems and only utilizes 32-bit processing),
14 >> amd64 and ia64.
15 >>
16 >> Regards,
17 >>
18 >> Colleen
19 >>
20 >> --
21 >>
22 >> Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
23 > Hi Colleen,
24 > I'm not sure I understand the warranty issue so take this with a
25 > grain of salt but most of the pre-configured Windows machines I've
26 > received in the last couple of years had some disk space left over
27 > outside of the Windows C drive. I'm sure you could install Gentoo on
28 > one of those and not void anything, assuming you have one.
29 The thing is, I don't want Windows on the computer at all. My laptop is
30 4 years old and it was booted into Windows once and that was only
31 because I didn't hit the F2 key fast enough to get into the bios to
32 change the boot order. Then, Windows got removed completely.
33
34 The computer I am getting is a desktop for home use and everything I
35 need is in Linux. I don't want to have to put up with all the "pain in
36 the ass" stuff Windows puts you through. I have to put up with Windows
37 all day at work and it's like a breath of fresh air when I can come home
38 to my Linux system.
39 > William's comment about running Gentoo in a VM is very valid.
40 I've never installed a virtual machine so wouldn't even know how to go
41 about it.
42 > There really aren't any specific 64-bit things I'm aware of that
43 > you need to choose. It's all pretty generic these days, at least with
44 > the Intel processors. I've not used an AMD processor in a while. Boot
45 > from pretty much any Linux Live CD and then do the stage 3 install and
46 > you should be fine. ia64 isn't TTBOMK knowledge something you need to
47 > pay attention to. All my Intel i5 & i7 machines are amd64 stable with
48 > a few ~amd64 packages.
49 So, if I choose the amd64 iso and Stage 3, it doesn't have to be on an
50 AMD machine?
51 > One note about the Sandy Bridge processor is reight now it does
52 > require a specific CFLAG setting to get everything to build correctly
53 > due to a gcc bug.
54
55 So how do I know if it's a Sandy Bridge processor? Nothing in the specs
56 that I read says it's anything more than and Intel i-7.
57 > As for any other distro, once you use Gentoo you won't be happy
58 > elsewhere. ;-) Stick with Gentoo, most especially since you have all
59 > the hardware power you need to build code at world class speed.
60
61 I *have* tried other distros - first Redhat, then Fedora, then Kubuntu
62 and you're right ... I wouldn't be happy with anything but Gentoo! I
63 started my Linux journey in 2000, went to Gentoo in 2004 and have always
64 been happy with it.
65
66 The question is not really whether I will install Gentoo, but more about
67 choosing the correct iso and Stage 3 because I don't want to get into a
68 pickle that I can't handle.
69
70 Regards,
71