From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virt-manager
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 05:16:29
1 On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 17:57:55 -0400
2 Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > On Friday, July 8 at 21:22 (+0100), john said:
7 >
8 > [...]
9 > > LOL Well I was up and running but now when trying to create VMs I
10 > > get (have done upgrade of around 20 packages)
11 > >
12 > > Uncaught error validating install parameters: Must pass a
13 > > VirtualDevice instance.
14 > >
15 > > Traceback (most recent call last):
16 > > File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1241,
17 > > in validate
18 > > return self.validate_final_page()
19 > > File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1501,
20 > > in validate_final_page
21 > > self.guest.add_device(self.nic)
22 > > File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line
23 > > 666, in add_device
24 > > raise ValueError(_("Must pass a VirtualDevice instance."))
25 > > ValueError: Must pass a VirtualDevice instance.
26 > >
27 > > dnsmasq installed. python-updater run. revdep-rebuild etc......
30 > > Are there any other GUIs to try for for virtualisation?????
31 > >
32 > > Or is it better sticking to CL to qemu-kvm?
33 > > Am I expecting too much for this just to work?
36 > I can honestly say that I haven't experienced so much pain working
37 > with libvirt/virt-manger. If I had I probably would have given up,
38 > but I've been using it for years now.
39 >
40 > What versions of packages are you using? Are you mixing
41 > stable/unstable packages?
42 >
43 > I can't really say. I've never seen that error before. What steps
44 > are you taking to create the VM?
51 Using latest stable versions of all packages regarding
52 virt-manager/libvirt and all associated but I am using
53 .39-r2 kernel (which oddly cures a usb issue I have been having
54 with .38
55
56 There is post on the forum regarding this issue as well (recent)
57 but looks like no fix was found.
58
59 Have tried a few vms now and seen to be running ok. Was trying to see
60 any differences with VirtualBox (better speed/usability).
61
62 Can't say there is much in it but only a home user so will not see too
63 much speed difference anyway.
64
65 Using gui to create images on hard disc and running isos from there.
66
67 I perhaps should read the documentation but like to try things first
68 before getting too involved. lxc next!!!!!!!
71 Thanks for your guidance. I don't think I would have got this far
72 without it.
76 John D Maunder