From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <michal.vaner@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux symlink?
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 20:50:19
1 On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 01:43:22PM -0600, Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:39:07 -0500
3 > Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sunday 04 February 2007 08:51:44 am Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
6 > > > On Sunday 4 February 2007 13:45, Jorge Almeida wrote:
7 > > > > I was under the impression that it is necessary to install Nvidia
8 > > > > drivers. Is this correct?
9 > > >
10 > > > If the link is not in place, nvidia-drivers will not build.
11 > > >
12 > > > > And what should be done with the System.map file? Copy it to /boot
13 > > > > under which name? (I mean, when booting with a particular kernel,
14 > > > > how does the kernel know the path to the correct System.map?)
15 > > >
16 > > > There used to be a good system.map explanation here:
17 > > >
18 > > > http://dirac.org/linux/system.map/
19 > > >
20 > > > however, it seems to have some problem at the moment. The google
21 > > > cached copy works (just do a search for linux system.map, it's the
22 > > > first hit).
23 > > >
24 > > > Sorry, cannot comment on whether the symlink should or should not be
25 > > > created, and it's been a lot since I built my last LFS. I have
26 > > > almost always used it, and never had any problem. IIRC the
27 > > > handbook's advice is to create the link. But, as always, YMMV.
28 > >
29 > > The server ar dirac.org need a kick, I emailed the admin there. As
30 > > for the symlink with LFS... LFS is a totally different animal than
31 > > most distributions. For us, the link is required in order to emerge
32 > > anything that touches the kernel sources.
33 > >
34 > I stopped copying System.map very often and it doesn't seem very
35 > useful.. I think copying it to /boot is mostly for recovery purposes,
36 > like .config being copied into /boot. that way you can rebuild the
37 > kernel if you need to.
38
39 AFAIK about System.map is it is not for recovery, but for
40 debugging. If kernel crashes, it tries get one to tell where it crashed,
41 give you backtrace and like that. It's easier to find the bug with it,
42 so unless you do not have a kernel that will ever crash, or you do not
43 want to send bug reports, you do not need one.
46 BOFH Excuse #452:
47
48 Somebody ran the operating system through a spelling checker.
49
50 Michal 'vorner' Vaner