From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local portage ebuilds
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:04:47
1 On Wednesday 09 Jul 2014 14:38:23 James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I use the stable portage tree for most everything.
5 > I use and test quite a few overlays.
6 > Both of these are great.
7 >
8 > But now, I'm hacking a small collection my own ebuilds that focus
9 > on some specific needs and science, which I shall refer to collectively as
10 > local ebuilds. I'm curious how other folks would suggest to keep them
11 > separate from the main portage tree and the overlays, but easily
12 > maintainable on my own workstation.
15 > Semantical suggestions via google seem to be dated.
16 > Observanations and other ideas are most welcome for keeping a bunch
17 > of "local" ebuilds managed and reliable on a stable gentoo system
18 > and as much as possible using the standard gentoo system tools.
19
20 I keep mine under:
21
22 /usr/local/portage/<category>/<package>
23
24 then run:
25
26 cd /usr/local/portage/<category>/<package>
27 ebuild <package>.ebuild manifest
28
29 and finally tell portage about it so as to avoid clashes with the main tree,
30 in /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
31
32 There may be more conventional ways of doing the same, but this is how I have
33 always done it and it still works.
36 Regards,
37 Mick