From: "José Romildo Malaquias" <j.romildo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Reading a DVD as an ISO image
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:24:31
1 On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 09:36:03AM -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > 2009/11/18 José Romildo Malaquias <j.romildo@×××××.com>:
3 > > On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 04:54:20PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 > >> On 2009-11-17, Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> > My guess is that he has a slow internet connection, he
7 > >> > downloaded a large iso, burned it, deleted it, and now wants
8 > >> > to get the iso back without downloading it again, but he has
9 > >> > access to the checksum/filesize of the original iso from the
10 > >> > place he downloaded it, and when he makes an iso, the
11 > >> > checksum/filesize does not match.
12 > >>
13 > >> In my experience that happens because one or the other of the
14 > >> images has "extra" garbage blocks past the end of the actual
15 > >> ISO filesystem image. If you look at the ISO filesystem header
16 > >> and find the actual size of the image, it's probably smaller
17 > >> than the "image file". If you only compare the bytes within
18 > >> the ISO image itself, I bet the two will match.
19 > >
20 > > In fact the size of the iso images obtained with dd and with cdread are
21 > > a little bit larger than the original one. The iso image obtained by
22 > > mkisofs on the mounted disc (with the udf filesystem type) are of the
23 > > right size, but still not identical to the original.
24 >
25 > This webpage has some info about comaring ISO images to burnt discs
26 > and a possible solution:
27 > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/CdromMd5sumsAfterBurning
28
29 Thanks for the link.
30
31 As I know the size and the sha1sum of the original ISO image, I
32 succeeded in creating an identical ISO image from the dvd disc with the
33 command:
34
35 dd if=/dev/dvd | head -c 4610877440 > /var/tmp/image2.iso
36
37 Is it possible to do something similar using readcd instead of dd?
38
39 Romildo