From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network Monitoring
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:05:59
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:38:10 -0400 James Colby
4 <jcolby@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > I am looking for some advice. We have a user on our network that we
7 > belive may be making inappropriate forum posts, violating our TOS for
8 > internet usage. I am looking for some recommendations of software
9 > that I can install on Gentoo server to help us monitor these posts.
10 > Can anyone recommend a proxy package that could help me to monitor
11 > this. I would prefer to do this transparently but we do have access
12 > to configure a proxies on the users browser. Is this something that
13 > Squid can do?
14
15 You won't get HTTPS traffic without spoofing certificates, which might
16 not get trough unnoticed. But HTTP is just plain text, so probably you
17 can just run
18
19 $ tcpdump -w - -i ethN -s 1600 port 80 and src 192.168.your.enemy | tee fulldump | strings
20
21 for one or two days and be done with it. Note that the traffic you're
22 interested in the most is outgoing traffic (HTTP POST) if you're
23 looking for offensive communication originating from that user.
24
25 Of course, all of this is probably illegal if that user hasn't agreed
26 on monitoring measures (which means you'll probably not be able to use
27 it as a proof before court) -- and even that might be prevented by
28 local law.
29
30 Also have a look at the dsniff package, especially at urlsnarf. But
31 this would just give you the URLs...
32
33 -hwh
34 --