From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deficient Gnome Window Frames
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 10:40:39
1 On 08/09/2013 12:02, gevisz wrote:
2 > 2013/9/6 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>>
4 >
5 > On 06/09/2013 20:55, gevisz wrote:
6 > > 2013/9/6 gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com <mailto:gevisz@×××××.com>
7 > <mailto:gevisz@×××××.com <mailto:gevisz@×××××.com>>>
10 > > 2013/9/5 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
11 > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
12 > > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>>>
13 > >
14 > > On 05/09/2013 14:51, gevisz wrote:
15 > > > Usually, when I open a new window frame in Gnome 2, I have a
16 > > Close,
17 > > > Maximize/Restore and Minimize buttons on its upper-right
18 > corner.
19 > > >
20 > > > Sometimes, however, especially when I open a supplementary
21 > > window frame
22 > > > from a running program, its upper (text) bar contains
23 > only the
24 > > Close
25 > > > button with no possibility to maximize the window frame
26 > to the
27 > > whole
28 > > > screen, and it is extremely inconvenient.
29 > > >
30 > > > I do remember that I had a similar problem in Gnome 2 under
31 > > Ubuntu but
32 > > > somehow managed to get to the configuration where almost all
33 > > my windows
34 > > > had Maximize/Restore and Minimize buttons. The only
35 > exception
36 > > was the
37 > > > Firefox sub-window to save a bookmark. :^(
38 > > >
39 > > > Just now, I have tries FXCE and found out that it opens
40 > all the
41 > > > sub-windows with the Maximize/Restore, Close and Minimize
42 > > buttons "out
43 > > > of the box" and without recompilation of all the
44 > programs that
45 > > do not do
46 > > > the same in Gnome (except for the Firefox bookmark
47 > sub-window,
48 > > of course).
49 > > >
50 > > > However, I am reluctant to migrate to FXCE right now because
51 > > at the
52 > > > moment I cannot achieve the same look-and-feel as in my
53 > Gnome
54 > > > (especially, I miss the the all-in-one
55 > clock-calendar-weather
56 > > applet
57 > > > with the world map showing the daytime at different
58 > locations).
59 > > >
60 > > > Could anybody advise me how to get the Close,
61 > Maximize/Restore and
62 > > > Minimize buttons in all window frames in Gnome 2.
65 > > I think the true answer is
66 > >
67 > > "You can't. The Gnome devs know better than you what you want"
68 > >
69 > > I'm happy to be proved wrong though.
70 > >
71 > > If it bothers you, just migrate to XFCE and deal with the
72 > pain.
73 > > It will
74 > > last only a short time.
75 > >
76 > > Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
77 > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
78 > > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
79 > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>>
82 > > Currently, Gnome works better than Xfce for me, because so far
83 > >
84 > > 1) I found no way to switch keyboard layout from English to
85 > any other
86 > > language (while Gnome and DWM do this after tackling with
87 > evdev
88 > > configs),
89 > >
90 > > 2) Gnome allows more combinations for hot key bindings, for
91 > example,
92 > > I can not assign <Win>+<Shift>+<any letter> to any
93 > program launcher
94 > > in Fxce, while it does work in Gnome,
95 > >
96 > > 3) installing Orange in FXCE involves unmasking some dependent
97 > > packages, but I like to stick to the stable thread.
98 > >
99 > > All in all, I do understand why Linus said that Xfce is a step
100 > back
101 > > compared to Gnome 2
102 > > (but I still have not got why Xfce is a big step forward compared
103 > > with Gnome 3 :^), as
104 > > have not tried it so far).
105 > >
106 > > P.S. I will probably post a separate question, but if somebody can
107 > > explain how to setup language keyboad layout switch in
108 > Fxce,
109 > > you are welcome. :^)
110 > >
111 > > I set up toggling the keyboard layout to <rWin> key in
112 > > /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf as follows:
113 > >
114 > > Option "XkbOptions"
115 > >
116 > "grp:rwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
117 > >
118 > > It works for Gnome and DWM but not for Xfce. :^(
119 > >
120 > > Moreover, I need the keyboard layout indicator somewhere on
121 > > the Xfce panel,
122 > > but could not find any.
125 > > A short update: after installing xfce4-xkb-plugin, which was not
126 > > included in the xfce4-meta package
127 > > (and I did not noticed it earlier), I finally got a keyboard layout
128 > > indicator. At first, it did not work, that is,
129 > > I could not switch a keyboard layout in no way. However, later, after
130 > > changing some of the plugin's
131 > > settings, it suddenly started to switch the keyboard layout.
132 > > Interestingly, the applet continued to switch
133 > > the keyboard layout even after I have changed all its settings to the
134 > > original ones. Magically, the <rWin>
135 > > key also started to switch the keyboard layout.
136 > >
137 > > So, my first and most important objection against Xfce4 is no more
138 > > valid. The third one is not
139 > > so important. Only the second is a bit annoying but one can live with
140 > > it. :^)
141 > >
142 > > Now, my Xfce4 looks almost like my Gnome2. Its weather applet is even
143 > > more informative. :^)
144 > >
145 > > However, my original question about Deficient Gnome Window Frames is
146 > > still valid.
147 > >
148 > > But not so important any more. :^)
151 > Window decorations are usually done by the window manager, I assume
152 > Gnome2 is no different?
153 >
154 > Have you tried running a different window manager that supports what you
155 > want?
156 > What is the Gnome2 wm anyway? Metacity? (it's been so long since I
157 > looked, I've forgotten)
160 > Yes, the Gnome 2 window manager is Metacity.
161 >
162 > However, I never configured my Gnome 2. :^)
163 >
164 > I migrated to Gentoo from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and, after mounting my old
165 > home partition,
166 > Gnome 2 transparently used its old configs from Ubuntu.
167 >
168 > I think that that old Gnome 2 configs may be the reason that, at first,
169 > I could not get
170 > the keyboard layout switch in Fxce4.
171 >
172 > However, now I have found all that need in Xfce4 and almost completely
173 > satisfied with it.
174 >
175 > The only two features that I do not like in Xfce is
176 > 1) the ugly icons of Xfce4 weather applet (Gnome 2 had much better ones)
177 > and that
178
179 Installing and using an icon theme you like ought to fix that. or you
180 can just find the icon the applet uses and replace it.
181
182 > 2) I can not assign <Win>+<Shift>+<any letter> to any program launcher
183 > in Fxce4, while it does work in Gnome
184
185 Keybindings are often set by the DE in use, according to some form of
186 plan/spec/look'n'feel/guidelines followed by the devs.
187
188 Why don't you just shift to using some different meta key that Xfce does
189 support? You'll need to work through the 10 days or so it takes to
190 change the muscle memory in your fingers, but it's an option
199 > --
200 > Alan McKinnon
201 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
208 Alan McKinnon