From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] ext3 file permissions on a USB drive
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:20:14
1 On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:16:05 -0500
3 > »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> The problem is that if user A on machine X creates a file on the
6 >> drive, it has access permissions 644, which makes it impossible for
7 >> user B on machine Y to modify the file. (User A and user B are both
8 >> me, but with different UIDs on the different machines.)
9 >
10 > You could use ACL as has been suggested; you could also just set the
11 > uids of the (same) user on these machines to the same thing.
12 >
13 > Using the same uid across boxes is a really good idea if you have users
14 > on each box anyway.
15
16 I wonder if you could share and mount it using samba/cifs or
17 something, which allows fudging of the UID/GID ...