From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: arp question
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 17:24:39
1 lee <lee <at> yagibdah.de> writes:
4 > >> They are wrong because there is no way for network traffic from the
5 > >> devices on the LAN to make it to the interface enp2s0. Or, if they do
6 > >> make it there, then there is something else seriously wrong.
9 Absolutely. ARP has been around a very long time (rfc 826). There are
10 thousands of code snippets out there that contain 'arp chatter'; many are
11 benign, some are still useful, other are parts of sploits. *usually* after
12 an extensive search, the source of the chatter is very sporadic and found in
13 a product from a vendor. In the early days, many vendors used codes from a
14 variety of sources to get their products to work with a variety of other
15 devices that supported 'ethernet'.
16
17 Unfortunately many companies put these codes into mal-form 'ip stacks'
18 in products with embedded controllers. The turn over of corporate coding
19 staff has resulted in many of the these code snippets remaining because 'the
20 new guy' with full stack responsibility did not want to mess with parts of
21 other folks codes. This situation varies widely and is a mild problem from
22 big name gear (starts with a C) to the little vendors.
23
24 As a consultant, it's a source of billable hours for those that can find the
25 source (very common with industrial ethernet based control systems).
26 It is an unmanaged irritant that mostly goes ignored from overworked coders
27 at various vendor corps running their 'own ip stack'.
28
29 And again your source(s) of nefarious arp issues many have no relationship
30 at all to these 'arp quirks' I have characterised.
31
32 > > tcpdump -i enp2s0 arp
33
34 > > will tell you if the arps are being generated from something on the wire
35 > > side. If there's not much traffic then clear the arp entry and ping
36 > > the IP address to generate traffic.
37 > Yes, I already tried that and didn't get any traffic listed.
40 For me, it usually takes a while to find these 'buggers' as most are
41 vendor vestibules in my experience.
44 good hunting,
45 James