From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone here running MythTV (frontend only?)
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:14:41
1 On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 00:08 -0400, Justin Hart wrote:
2 > > Oh, I see your question. I asked this myself a few months ago. Yes -
3 > > it does assume thee's a backend somewhere on the network, but
4 > > apparently you have to have MySQL on the frontend machine also to be
5 > > able to send MySQL commands to the backend. All the 'frontendonly' USE
6 > > flag does (I think - I've never read the ebuild) is to not build the
7 > > actual backend code. It still requires MySQL be installed because it
8 > > assumes you will talk to a MySQL based backend.
11 > That wasn't his question. We wants to play video, but not record
12 > video. He wants to run the frontend with no backend anywhere.
13 >
14 > I'm pretty sure that mythtv doesn't work at all without the backend
15 > (as in, there is no backend present on the network at all).
16
17 in point of fact there must be a mysql server to connect to somewhere on
18 the network. mysql stores the frontend settings. AFAIK you do not
19 actually need the backend running, but you do need the mysql server
20 running.
21
22 Now back to the point, did the OP set the directory where his video
23 files reside in the mythtv setup?
30 > I haven't
31 > hacked around in the code though, so didn't want to say this without
32 > *knowing,* but I haven't heard of a configuration without the backend.
33 >
34 > Justin
37 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list