From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems debugging a systemd problem
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 15:57:30
1 On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 3:30 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On 28.05.2015 09:39, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > No, the journal is gone, it was only in /run which is on a tmpfs file
8 > > > system. I can boot from a cd all day long, but it would not help one
9 > > > bit.
10 > >
11 > > Hm, I think it could help for sure as you could chroot in and do
12 > > something. For example build a new kernel or initrd or ...
13 > >
14 > > You removed openrc? Otherwise boot via openrc and (try to) fix stuff.
15 > >
16 > > You could even reinstall openrc from within chroot ... just to get
17 > > bootin again etc etc
25 > I still have openrc, but Dracut won't work with it, at least maybe
26 > because I have systemd use flag enabled. Also, in retrospect, that
27 > would not have solved my specific problems, because it was related to an
28 > rd.lv command which is specific to dracut.
29 >
30 > But thanks for your suggestion. I wonder what the rescue target is -- I
31 > have never seen that before -- maybe I could configure it so I could
32 > boot into a shell and fix things and it would be sort of like a little
33 > system of its own.
34
35 Others have already answered, but I will add that if you put "emergency"
36 anywhere in the kernel command line, then systemd will boot to the rescue
37 target; that's why I suggested to do it in my first answer.
38
39 Also, as Rich said, if you wait it's possible that systemd (and/or dracut)
40 will drop you into a rescue shell anyway. Unfortunately, thanks to very
41 slow hardware in the wild, the timeout has been increased to three minutes,
42 and I believe those are *per hardware unit*. So if you have five disks, in
43 theory it could take fifteen minutes to get you to a rescue shell.
44
45 Regards.
46 --
47 Canek Peláez Valdés
48 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias