From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Downloading Flash videos
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:17:07
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:42:55 +0100
4 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > I have used VideoDownloader with Firefox and FLV Downloader (which didn't
7 > work) and Video Manager with Opera. It seems that the downloaded video is
8 > very jumpy (drops huge number of frames) when played back using xine/gxine.
9
10 Hm. That shouldn't be an effect here, since those plugins/widgets don't
11 capture the stream off the network device (packet socket), where
12 packets could get lost. FLV usually doesn't react good on dropouts
13 either, it's not streamed via UDP for that reason, I guess. So I'm not
14 quite sure if you can overcome the jumps...
15
16 But FWIW, my method is to "start" the video (i.e. clicking on it so the
17 flash player opens), then immediately pause it. When the player's "gray
18 bar" filled up, the FLV is waiting for a quick "cp" on the command line
19 as temporary file in /tmp (named "Flash<random string>"). Some flash
20 players utilize the browser to download the FLV, then it will be in the
21 browser's cache directory. Works all the time, I don't bother with
22 extensions/plugins anymore...
23
24 BTW, my preferred player for those is vlc. But it should work with any
25 player linked against a reasonably recent ffmpeg.
26
27 -hwh
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list