From: Gary Golden <mail@××××××××××.me>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world symlinking
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:13:35
1 On 11/02/2010 12:08 PM, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > 2010/11/2 Gary Golden <mail@××××××××××.me>:
3 >> Hi, list.
4 >> I keep changes of my /etc with git and I would like to include
5 >> /var/lib/portage/world file into the repository.
6 >>
7 >> Can I safely do:
8 >>
9 >> mv /var/lib/portage/world /etc/portage
10 >> ln -s /etc/portage /var/lib/portage/world
11 >>
12 >> Will portage update handle it properly?
13 >> Using hardlinks seems to be more cleaner way, but for some reason I
14 >> don't want to use it for this task.
15 >
16 > It should work. Just try it out, but make a copy of your world file
17 > before. Should be easy to switch back if anything fails.
18 >
19 > Afaik, the creation of the symbolic link should look like this:
20 > ln -s /etc/portage/world /var/lib/portage/world
23 Thanks for the correction, you're right, of course.
24 Nevertheless, I've considered that using hardlinks is most porper way to
25 solve this task. It basically do what I need, make another reference to
26 the file under needed directory; without introducing compexity.
29 Gary Golden